Wednesday 25 March 2009

A Rare Political Post

Those who know me, know that I'm not a very political-minded person. And I know that I should be, but it all generally goes way over my head. But right now I need to take time out from the mostly-fun-and-frivolous life of makeup blogging, to talk about something that I feel very strongly about. I haven't posted the link to LUSH's "Save the Seals" petition yet, mostly because you've got to be in the US or Canada to sign, and I'm pretty sure all the readers I have here are British. But I signed using my hometown back in Canada. Anyway. The link to that one is here:

http://www.lush.com/saveourseals/petition/

And before the arguments and debates start, I want to clarify that the petition is not to interfere with peoples' rights as human beings, the right to hunt wild animals for survival. This petition is to stop the COMMERCIAL seal hunt, meaning seal-clubbing solely for the sake of fur trade.

But this the one I want everybody to look at right this minute. Yes, right now. I can wait.

http://www.savebiogems.org/wolves/

To make a long story short, Interior Secretary Salazar has given the green light to "a Bush-era plan to kick the wolves of the northern Rockies off the endangered species list and leave them vulnerable to mass killing. More than 600 wolves could be caught in the crossfire of state-sponsored wolf hunts." (cited from the above link)

Yeah. These wolves were on the endangered species list, and now this man thinks it's okay to take them off it and make it okay to hunt them.

Please do not misunderstand me here. I'm not a vegetarian. God help me, I doubt I ever could be. People were biologically engineered to eat meat. However, I really can not condone or pretend to agree with killing for the sake of killing. Which is why I feel so strongly about these two causes. The first, because it's a travesty that seal-clubbing has been going on for so long and is thought to be okay. The second, because an endangered species is having their safety nets lifted away and allowing people to open fire. Once again, just for fur, or trophies.

I'm going to start rambling nonsensically if I don't stop here, so that's where I'll leave it off. But please, if you care and if you want to stop seal-clubbing, and want to stop legalized wolf-hunts before they can start, please click the above links and add your name.

xoxo, Vix

No comments:

Post a Comment